Saturday, June 28, 2008

7 or 4: BACHARACH



Burt Bacharach not only wrote some of the greatest pop songs ever, he also put on one of the best live shows I have ever heard. It wasn't flashy, except for his tux and bow tie, and there was no dancing. He played piano and sang while conducting a solid eight or ten piece band through many of his classics. Beautiful music played beautifully. A lady older than my grandmother bought my friends and I cokes and popcorn.

There's no way to choose just one of his songs, although the "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?," the unchipper "Trains and Boats and Planes," and the Cissy Houston vocal version of "Mexican Divorce" all immediately come to mind as possibilities.

With "What's New, Pussycat?" I can also usher in Welsh singer Tom Jones (Sir Thomas Jones Woodward). Since he's Welsh and I wanted to stick with American tunes, I can sneak him in through the Bacharach door.

(That's awful and I know. Sorry. Can't control it sometimes.)

I had a set of computer speakers burst into flames while listening to a Tom Jones album. Seriously.

2 comments:

Kelly Coyle said...

"I had a set of computer speakers burst into flames while listening to a Tom Jones album."

You're supposed to use the "hunk-hardened" speaker wires for guys like that.

Anyway, I vote I Say a Little Prayer for You. (With thumpy electric bass goodness.)

Clurg said...

I am always coming across different arrangements of these songs and the Aretha Franklin version is a new one on me. Sweet sweetness and definitely thumpy bass goodness.

"The Voice" must be used sparingly.

I haven't heard "Thunderball" in a while.

Better check the cables.