Thursday, June 12, 2008

Oh meme, Oh mime

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your summer. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to."

I won't tag anyone else to do this. If you want to, go ahead and then let me know. The last few days have been extremely busy so I am falling victim to the meme. Trust me, I'll try not to do this too often. They make me feel lazy as all hell.

Also, I'm mainly listing albums. I generally focus on albums more than songs unless I'm learning them, which is the case with the first two.

1. "Wildwood Flower"
I've had this melody stuck in my head for weeks now. I sit and play versions of it over and over again. I have several versions of it (Carter Family, Cash, etc.), but I'm not listening to it except in my head or when I am practicing. Haunting, beautiful song with odd lyrics.

2. "Straight, No Chaser"- Miles Davis: Milestones
Talk about great melodies. Thelonius Monk wrote more than a few. I've been practicing this one along with the Milestones version. I haven't quite perfected the timing the way it is on the album.

3. Minutemen: Post-Mersh, Vol.1
Post-Mersh, Vol. 1 contains two albums: The Punch Line and What Makes a Man Start Fires? Amazingly diverse band for being "punk rockers." Here's one of the few videos they made: This Ain't No Picinic.

4. Residents: "Moisture" and various albums
Right now I'm just soaking up everything I can find on YouTube or in my collection. I hadn't listened to the Residents in years and, well, you can read more about that in a previous post.

5. The Music of Bill Monroe from 1936 to 1994: Disc Three
If you've ever played in a bluegrass band, then you've got to love Bill Monroe. Great American songs. I've been focusing on uptempo instrumentals like "Big Mon" and "Soldier's Joy." Of course, I can't resist the ballads like "With Body and Soul" or "Dark as the Night, Blue as the Day." And "Darling Corey" just rocks.

6. Secret Chiefs 3: First Grand Constitution and Bylaws
Even though this is the first album by this "band," the last album, Book of Horizons, might be a better introduction. I put "band" in quotes because the Secret Chiefs is really Trey Spruance and a revolving group of talent. In fact, the band is now divided into seven bands each with a governing concept and style. Sound confusing? It is, but the music is amazing. Seriously. Really I should put all of their albums on this list because I'm constantly rotating between them. I just happen to be listening to the first album again this week. A live video of a newer song that will probably have a different title by the time it gets released: "Fast"

7. Eyvind Kang: Virginal Co-Ordinates and Theater of Mineral NADEs
Kang is another composer that I should might as well say I'm listening to everything by him all the time. I just happen to be listening to these two this week. He's an inspiring composer and performer. He's a difficult person to get info on or videos of, but here's Kang with the Bill Frisell Quartet.

2 comments:

Kelly Coyle said...

We saw Kang perform once, with the Bill Frisell Quartet, probably 10 years ago. He was awesome -- you pretty much couldn't watch anyone else, including Bill.

Maybe I'll do the meme, although my present list is far more pedestrian.

Last day of school. I'm just marking time in the faculty lounge right now, waiting for the assembly.

Clurg said...

Congrats on last day of school! Yes!

I saw Kang in '99 with the Secret Chiefs and it was just like you mentioned. They played a few of his compositions and I bought The Story of Iceland from him and I didn't even know that it had been released. There's video up of one performance, but it wasn't as good as the one I saw. The Secret Chiefs (and Kang) on Australian TV, however, is very much worth it.

I would have loved to see that Frisell group. The Quartet album is probably my favorite of his, along with the Buster Keaton material.