Thursday, June 19, 2008

oh no upcoming...more on lists

Ok, ok, you'll have to blame Kelly for some of the upcoming posts on pop music and/or Neil Peart.

I'm working with his parameters on the perfect pop song and adding my own. I literally couldn't sleep thinking about this. Well, I didn't stay awake all night or anything, I was just trying to take a nap before picking up a friend at the airport.

So, upcoming: perfect pop songs--something I don't think about too often. Currently listening to one of the messiest and noisiest Velvet Underground albums and loving it. My comfortable idea of pop music is something like the Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray," which is hardly radio fare.

If anything, I'm putting way too much thought into this, but at least I've gotten over the anxiety and am just having fun.

Also, I realized that I wrote that top ten novel list quite awhile back. I still want Moby Dick on there. And since then, I've read two Nabokov novels, Lolita and Pnin, and was amazed by both. Chabon's Kavalier and Clay would have to go on that list now, as well. Flaubert's Madame Bovary was so good I had to copy sections of it by hand. Maybe I'll revise that sometime.

Lists and listin'. They don't mean nuthin'.

1 comment:

Kelly Coyle said...

I'm honored by the response.

I'm pretty sure "Sattelite of Love" is a pop song. Not that I remember it all that well. One of my few iTunes purchases is that new Lou Reed, um, thing, which I will admit I bought because of its total art rock cliche awfulness. I don't remember what it's called.

"Take a Walk on the Wild Side" is surely a pop song, although they played it so much on the radio, so that I heard it everyday in art class, that I got sick of it. Along with "Lord, I was born a ramblin' man-annn...." That one still gives me nausea.

"Inevitably chirpy." No, "chirpily inevitable." What is the essence of chirpy? The chirpy. The Chirpy. The nature of Chirp. "Wilco's recording, while admirable in many ways, lacks sufficient chirp..."

Your Jackson 5 video was way chirpy.

I'm serious about your word verification. This time I got "evchbzdb." Soon we'll be retyping sections of Finnegan's Wake.